A fundamental element for Diaconia is its relationship to the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren (ECCB). Every Diaconia centre has a contractual connection with a local ECCB congregation. In most cases the centres came into being as the result of initiatives on the part of members of the church, and they receive support of all kinds from the congregations, such as financial support, material contributions, and voluntary help.
Diaconia is also a member of the following organisations:
- Eurodiaconia – European network of churches and Christian NGOs providing social and health care services
- EAPN – a national platform against poverty
- SKOK – an umbrella organisation for non-profit organisations providing social and health care
- The Czech Council of Humanitarian Organisations
- The Czech Society for Alzheimer's Disease
The aim of these organisations is to represent common interests in negotiations with the state and to facilitate exchange of experience among experts, mediation of good practice, and joint coordination.